Sunday, August 9, 2015

Sketching in Hoboken

To get to Hoboken where the NYC Urban Sketchers were meeting I had to first take the LIRR into Penn Station and then take the PATH train to New Jersey. I left on the 7:40 am train and arrived in Hoboken at 9:45...yes, it was a long trip, but sketching on the train (see yesterday's post) makes the time seem shorter.

After meeting up with everyone I decided the Hoboken Terminal was a perfect spot to sketch. I've sketched it before but like it enough to redo it. Here is a link to my post from the last time I sketched in Hoboken. http://watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com/2014/07/44th-worldwide-sketchcrawl.html


There are a lot of great views of the city, so how could I pass that up?


After lunch I decided to try a panoramic view of the city. I always have a hard time with city scenes because I get lost in the buildings. This time I sketched a few at a time and painted those before I moved on to the next group. I find the color helps identify where I am in the scene.


I had a half hour left before we were heading over to "show and tell" so I used it for a few small sketches. This man looked very comfortable, but I think that bench is a little hard.


Nora was right in front of me and I couldn't resist sketching her in action.






8 comments:

  1. Dear Joan this looks like a wonderful place to visit. Your sketches really are so filled with great details. The man on the bench made me smile. I agree it does look like a bit hard on one's back. Have a super day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So love that top piece especially Joan. And that skyline is amazing! I also love what you did when I missed a day or two of visiting. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Hoboken because my cousin lives there...you achieve so much in a short visit. I love your cityscapes! I would not know where to begin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Joan! Love following your blog adventures through your wonderful art! I keep thinking what a fantastic book it would make! Take care! (As usual great work here!) (Love the top work!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fab Joan. Love the cityscape. Though I have no idea where you get all this arty energy from to keep it up. I am exhausted and I don't do half the arty stuff you do. lol Keep enjoying your urban sketching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Debbie! I'm sure we will go back there again.

    Sherry, thanks for catching up and commenting.

    Celia, you know I sketch fast. Thanks.

    Michael, thanks so much!

    Jo, plein air always has stories. lol Thanks.

    Laura, urban sketching does take a lot of energy as you know. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great collection of sketches. I feel as though I had been right there, sharing the experience.

    ReplyDelete