Saturday, August 2, 2014

Alive After 5 - Part I

Downtown Patchogue has been having designated Thursday nights this summer, which are part of "Alive After 5." This is sort of like a street festival. The main street is closed and filled with food vendors and merchants, outdoor bars and areas for restaurants, and live entertainment. This is where the Patchogue Sketch Club headed to sketch this week. Some of the bands playing are good...and some not so good. lol For the first sketch I made sure I was sitting near a band that I could listen to for a while. This is a sketch of one of the bar areas on the street...and no, I didn't indulge.


This was sketched of some of the people passing by. Most of the figures are a composite of the head of one person, the torso of another and the legs of a third. It is almost impossible to sketch one complete person since they move so quickly and the crowds of people block your view so easily and often.


5 comments:

  1. Wow, this event sounds like so much fun -- both for sketching and just enjoying! I like the way you indicate the crowds of people in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an amazing job with all of these figures, Joan!! I am more than impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work, Joan. Perfect figure work and I love the umbrellas. Looks like a great day for sketching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tina. You know what it is like trying to indicate the crowds...not so easy.

    Sherry, thanks so much.

    Hilda, it was fun but a very busy place. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in Mt. Sinai on Saturday! I think that's near Patchogue, right? I could have stopped by! :)

    ReplyDelete