Saturday, September 7, 2024

Riverside Park South

The NYC Urban Sketchers went to Riverside Park South last Saturday. This is the old gantry that allowed freight cars to roll from barges to the rail yard that used to be here. 


Next I went out on the pier to get a view looking back at the park. It started to rain lightly so most of us scurried to get underneath the umbrellas by the cafe. Mel was at the next table so I decided to sketch him while I waited for the weather to clear. I used a double page in my watercolor moleskin. It was perfect to fit Mel and include the green umbrella too.

When the rain finally stopped I went back out on the pier to continue the sketch I had started. This is looking back toward the West Side Highway. I was able to include a few people at tables as well as a few joggers.


I had a little time left before show and tell so I was able to do one more small, quick sketch.



4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Joan! I feel so honored to make it into your sketch book. Great work on all but I specially love what you did on the third sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. It was a fun place to sketch...so many subjects...like you.

      Delete
  2. You made the most of the rain and we get to see Mel! Great sketches for a gloomy day. The umbrellas help spark it up. I'm smiling at all you got done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite the surprise rain shower I got a few sketches done. Thanks, Jo!

      Delete