Sunday, November 11, 2018

Sketching the Egyptian Collection

Due to the cold weather forecast the NYC Urban Sketchers met at the Brooklyn Museum to sketch the Egyptian Collection. The museum doesn't open until 11 so my plan was to go to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden greenhouse for an hour first. But when I checked to make sure it opened at 10:00 I also found out they discontinued their policy of free admission before noon. It didn't pay (pardon the pun) to pay full admission for less than an hour of sketching. I decided to head to Brooklyn at the same time figuring I could find something to sketch when I got there. The problem is there isn't a lot of street parking but I took my chance. I lucked out and found a spot right near the paid parking lot that is for both the museum and gardens...and I was parked right near this entry gate for the Brooklyn Botanic Garden so I was able to sit in my car and sketch.


I headed off to the museum next and met the other sketchers. We've sketched the Egyptian collection before so I was looking for something unusual. I wanted to sketch one of the mummy cases. As I walked around this one I found that if I sat on a certain side of the glass case I could see the work area behind it with a hoist. They were working on a few of the installations in the area but not the piece I selected. I think adding the work area background added a bit more interest to this composition.


After a lunch break I headed back upstairs and sketched a few of the statues. The one of the couple was interesting but her arm was missing. A lot of the statues of gods had broken noses. Apparently  they believed that if the nose was broken the god would have no power.


Here I am at our "show and tell" later in the day. My thanks to Louis Gutterman for the photo.



7 comments:

  1. I agree that the construction stuff in the background adds interest to the sketch! And the parking gods sure were looking after you that day! ;-)

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful sketches Joan. I LOVE the first one of the entry gate to the gardens. The colors are so bright... So beautiful!!! And I as well like the confusion in the background of the construction area.. Well done. It definitely takes the eyes around the sketch...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilda. I'm glad you like the one of the garden gates. I made it a bit more colorful than it was.

      Delete
  3. I looks like you had a full day of it Joan. All of your sketches are super but I really like the ones of the statues best - interesting info about the noses - lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. I hadn't even noticed that so many had broken noses but the same thing happens with the Greek and Roman statues.

      Delete
  4. These are all great sketches. What a great place to sketch and with friends. Nice.

    ReplyDelete