Sunday, January 7, 2024

First Sketches of 2024

If I am not away for the holidays I like to take a trip to the beach to start off the new year. I headed over to Robert Moses State Park to paint. These are two small (maybe 3 x 5 in) paintings that I did from the parking lot while sitting in my mobile studio. First I painted the Fire Island Lighthouse... 


and then I painted the sky over the dunes.


You can see my New Year's Day beach sketches for 2018 here and for 2019 https://watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com/2019/01/first-painting-for-2019 here.

When I was finished with these I threw my sketchbook in my tote bag, pulled on my hat, gloves, and scarf, zipped up my winter jacket and headed off to walk to the lighthouse. It is about 3/4 of a mile to the lighthouse and then 3/4 of a mile back...so I got in some walking to start the year.
A LOT of people come to Robert Moses Beach and the lighthouse on Jan 1 every year. It is nice to walk along and have people say "Happy New Year" as they pass. They give out free hot chocolate and cookies when you get to the lighthouse.
I went around the back side of the lighthouse down near the bay side and sat down to sketch. I finished the pencil sketch only to find out that I had left my palette on the front seat of the car, so I couldn't complete the painting. I will have to go back another time when it is a nice day and finish it.
How did you start off the new year?


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful and a great way to start the year. I was lazy of course! I didn't sketch until Jan 2 and then from photos. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete