Friday, January 26, 2024

Animals

For the scavenger hunt over on Creativespark.art this week "animal" was on the list. It was cold and drizzly but I headed to the East Quogue Wildlife Refuge. I know they have a building with a few live creatures and a lot of stuffed creatures. There was a tank with 4 bearded dragons. They have faces that are difficult to draw since they are pretty monochromatic. They didn't stay still. One of them bounced his head up and down like he was dancing.  They were fun to watch and sketch.


I also sketched a stuffed raccoon. He was much easier to sketch. There were a lot of birds, so I'll have to remember to go back again. If it was closer, I would go more often, but it is about a 35 minute drive from me.


There is also a nice pond that was partly frozen over that had a lot of ducks. I didn't have time to sketch that but will keep it in mind when it gets cold enough for it to freeze again. 


5 comments:

  1. These are great! I'm surprised the bearded dragons were monochromatic... the one I sketched a few weeks ago (a portrait for my fundraiser) was bright orange and blue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice sketches. Never seen a bearded dragon. We had raccoons at the other house and in Angel Fire. They can be very aggressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan am not familiar with bearded dragons but amazing how you were able to sketch them while they were moving. Yes it is much easier to draw from life if are subjects would stay still like the stuffed raccoon. Enjoy the last days of January...we are getting closer to spring :)!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. My nephew had one once and it was more colorful than these. Yes, the days are a little warmer lately. Have a great weekend.

      Delete