Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Kittery Point

 When I head home from my sister's house in Maine I usually stop for a final lunch at Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery, Maine which is the southernmost town along the coast. I timed my departure so that I could have lunch and have a little time to sketch somewhere before heading south to catch my ferry from New London, CT to Long Island. Watching the time on my GPS it seemed like I had about an hour to do that. I've never checked out Kittery Point so I gave myself 10 minutes to find a location that looked good. I ended up at Fort McClary which is at the mouth of the Piscataqua River which separates Maine and New Hampshire at the coast. The fort itself looked interesting but would involve some climbing up the hill to find a good spot. I'd rather sketch the view of the water which is exactly what I did. There was even a bench for me to sit on. I finished in about 40 minutes and headed for Connecticut. Even with traffic backed up due to an accident I was on time for the ferry.




7 comments:

  1. An adventure and a beautiful painting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I always get nervous about taking a side trip when I have to catch the ferry at a specific time. You never know for sure how long it is going to take, so I usually give myself about 45 minutes extra.

      Delete
    2. We spent lots of time when up in Canada and the lakes areas missing ferries in the old days. Nap time! :-)

      Delete
  2. A great find for your way home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty spot. My other option was to sketch Bob's Clam Hut but I've done that a few times already.

      Delete
  3. How simple life can be and how happy this little sketch looks.

    ReplyDelete