Saturday, January 23, 2016

"30 Paintings in 30 Days" - Day 23 - Pink Poppy

Poppies are such pretty flowers but they are here and gone so quickly it seems. For day 23 of Leslie Saeta's "30 Paintings in 30 Days" challenge I used one of my reference photos to do a pink poppy.
#30paintingsin30days


In addition to painting flowers, I'm trying to grow one. I bought an amaryllis bulb before Christmas. Every year I think about growing one, but my apartment doesn't get much direct sunlight, especially in the winter. By the time any sunshine comes through my windows it is very week at the end of the day. I decided to give it a try this year and see what happens. I started journaling about it on Jan. 12 when I took it out of the box. Needless to say I haven't had much to write since then. They do take a long time to get started and this one isn't getting the most ideal conditions. lol


8 comments:

  1. Last two posts are gorgeous Joan! I hope you're keeping warm and safe - have heard you're having unprecedented amounts of snow in your part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your bulb sketch. Mostly, though, thinking of you in the storm.. Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty, both of them. Good luck with your bulb... and may the storm be over soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Wendy. We have about 16 inches (41 cm) so far and it is still snowing hard.

    Michele, thank you. I've been inside and warm all day...a good day for art and movies.

    Sheila, thanks! It is not over yet. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your poppy. The slightly lower petal adds a lot to the interest of the way it fits into the square. My amaryllis is only just blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Joan - your poppy is very lovely. The background is just perfect for the back drop of this flower. Hope your amaryllis blooms for you soon. They are very lovely. Hope you are safe and sound with power and all you need during this storm. Been "looking up" for you. We managed to not get clipped in this huge one. Very close but went around us. Take care - Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, Julie. I have my fingers crossed for the amaryllis.

    Debbie, thank you. We had a lot of snow but since I don't have to go anywhere it isn't a problem for me. I just wait until the development plows up to my garage door. lol Unfortunately I was inside with lots of food and did too much snacking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely job on the flower! About the bulb -have you tried using a 'daylight' light beside it? I start my bedding plants in January when it is pretty gray here but the do just fine with some florescent lights above them. - good luck!

    ReplyDelete