Friday, April 27, 2012

Sketching in NYC

My friend, Ai, from Bangkok, Thailand was in the USA with her family visiting her in-laws for a few weeks in Alabama. Ai wanted to see NYC so she arranged to visit up here for a few days. Because of my art show I couldn't meet her over the weekend, but we did meet on Monday.

The forecast was for possible showers in the morning so we met at Grand Central Terminal.

We went downstairs near the food court and found a flower vendor to sketch.
Here is my sketch, followed by Ai's.

Here are our sketches with the actual view we had.

After lunch we decide to see if we could sketch outside. It was rather cold so we decided to do something quick. I sketched one of the 42nd St entrances to Grand Central. (You notice how we both picked such uncomplicated views. lol)
.

Ai sketched the roof.

Here we are with our sketches outside Grand Central Terminal.


By this time we knew we needed to sketch from indoors, so we headed over to the NY Public Library on 42nd Street and 5th Avenue. We found a nice spot with an indoor/outdoor view.
Here is my sketch.

Here is Ai's sketch.

It was such a fun day, that we decided to meet again the next day.




4 comments:

  1. Great sketches! Love both the flowers and the architecture. I'm glad that you two got to hang out together and sketch. Wish I could have been there with you. I'm working on improving my walking stamina. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful sketches you've both done! And what a fabulous day. So glad Ai was able to come up to NY and you were able to get together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mickey - You definitely would have needed stamina. lol Thanks.

    Sherry - Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joan. Have been so tied up with things around me, have not done much painting nor been on the blogger! Just spent some time looking through yours. well done! Some wonderful sketches!

    ReplyDelete