Saturday, July 27, 2024

Queens Botanic Garden

Last Saturday the NYC Urban Sketchers had our annual "picnic" at the Queens Botanic Garden. We used to have a Christmas Party but the group got too large for us to find a venue where we could hold it. After Covid hit and we were able to gather again, it was decided to have it at the Queens Botanic Garden in the summer. There's lots of room for us and we also have an indoor room where we have our raffles, auctions, garage sale and refereshments. 

Here is the first sketch I did for the day of an area of flowers with the visitor's center behind them.


Here are two photos of Kim, myself, and Mark facing that view.



Outside the gates of the garden were some interesting buildings. Many residents of the community came by to see what I was painting and to compliment me. I alway worry about the signs and hope I've done a good enough job that I haven't written something inappropriate. lol


After lunch one of our members, Mel Barranco, led us on a sketchwalk. For most of our stops we were limited to a 2 minute sketch, although our last stop lasted 5 minutes. We were given the task of sketching anything that was in the area. I did a combination of people and plants.


 

Here are a few photos of the sketch walk. Not everyone participated.



The sketch walk was followed by the auction, raffles, etc. This event is part of our fundraising for the year. It was fun to see everyone!













2 comments:

  1. Wow, big group. Looks like barrels of fun. Makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of fun to sketch with a group and then see what everyone else picked as a subject.

      Delete