Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Return to the New York Botanical Gardens

After sketching the cherry trees at the New York Botanical Gardens one weekend, one of our members asked that the NYC Urban Sketchers also visit there while things were in bloom. The daffs, the tulips, the cherry trees, the lilacs, the peony trees and the rhodies were all in bloom when we were there so it was arranged that we would go again. Since I had been painting so many cherry trees I decided that my first stop would be the lilac garden...oh, what a lovely smell. They were in bloom in various shades of purples and lavenders, as well as whites. It was beautiful!


Across from the lilac garden is the actual cherry tree location. Last week we had been to daffodil hill, but this was another area of the gardens. Right at the edge overlooking a small hill was this massive, wonderful cherry tree, the thought of painting anything else went right out of my head. lol
This is the sight that was before me.


By the time I finished this painting I knew I needed to get back to the Conservatory where our show & tell would be. I took the tram, but I only had a short time before we were starting. I started a sketch of some of the potted plants in the area, but didn't get to finish them. I did take a photo so hopefully I will be able to complete it at home.









5 comments:

  1. Wow, what a treat to see and paint all those gorgeous blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Joan this is a great watercolor...You managed to capture the glorious colors of all those beautiful blooms. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbie. The trees were really inspiring this year. Hope your weekend is great. Have a Happy Mother's Day!

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful place to sketch. Your sketches are outstanding. Happy you had a good and successful time.

    ReplyDelete