Sunday, October 4, 2020

Inktober Day 4 - Lake Ronkonkoma View

 I am enjoying using the brown ink, which in my opinion looks like sepia. When I bought it and first tried it I was disappointed that it wasn't a true brown, but I like the look. 

My Day 4 Inktober was sketched from the parking lot at Lake Ronkonkoma County Park. I believe this is the same park my parents would take us to once or twice a summer. It was a good hour drive from our home and it seemed like we were going on a big trip when we went there.  It had this huge slide in the water. I was always afraid to climb to the top so I never got to experience that thrill. I think it is funny that now I live so close to it. The slide is no longer there so I don't have to worry about it.

Then there is the story about the bees. My mother would always pack lunch when we went out for the day. There were my two parents and 5 of us kids, so buying food at a snack bar was out of the question. So Mom brought a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, and a jar of jelly. As soon as the jelly jar was opened a swarm of bees headed into the jar and never left. lol We had dry peanut butter sandwiches for lunch that day!



9 comments:

  1. I love that story about the bees! It's wonderful when a place you are sketching evokes childhood memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is good when something has a connection to your history. I think the story is funny now...but it wasn't so funny that day. lol

      Delete
  2. There's nothing better than those memories, Joan. I remember so well travelling every other week to Lake Ronkonkoma. It seemed to take us SO long from Jamaica. We had to stop on the road for a snack. lol
    I think you should work on this color more often ..it really appears to be sepia and I love that look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilda, did you grow up in Jamaica too? Where did you go to school? That is so funny that we lived so close to each other in two locations. Yes, the ride from Jamaica seemed endless...maybe because the roads weren't quite the same as they are today. I'm not sure where the LIE ended back then. I know we went to Montauk once and it seemed like we were going to another country. Thanks for the comments that made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... I lived on 139th st. And 143rd . I was about 6 yrs old and lived there until I got married in 1968. I went to PS82 ....Junior high school 217. And the beautiful Jamaica High School which I believe is not there anymore!!!! WOW. What a small world. Where did you go.?? Those were such good simple days......

      Delete
  4. This is charming Joan and the story you told is priceless - lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sketch. Love the table and bench. It seems to be waiting for someone to visit.

    Memories are so special. Love your story. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah beautiful sketch with such a heartwarming memory. Bees can really be cheeky when it comes to something sweet.☺!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542    

    ReplyDelete