Monday, July 9, 2018

Roosevelt Island - Part 2

At the northern tip of Roosevelt Island is the Roosevelt Island Lighthouse. It was built by the convicts from the penitentiary and was made of local stone. It was designed by the same person who designed St. Patrick's Cathedral, James Renwick, Jr. and it is now on the National Register of Historic Places.


We had lunch along Main Street and sat near a church. When I finished eating I sketch the view from our spot to the water.


Finally we sat on the eastern side of the island and sketch the Ravenswood Generating Station across the river in Queens. Due to the chimney I needed to do this across a double page spread.


8 comments:

  1. I don’t know what there is about the texture and colors, but I really like that top lighthouse. Nice all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I think the bits of ink gave it a lot of texture.

      Delete
  2. I love your second sketch sitting by the Church. The greens on the tree is fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joan went back to see pat one of Roosevelt Island. These are all wonderful sketches. My favorite is the view from the water. It looks like a shady spot. Hope you are having a delightful day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. We were lucky that there were so many pleasant, shady spots to work from. Have a great week!

      Delete