Monday, September 16, 2024

Islip Sea Fest

Last Sunday I saw a ad for the Islip Sea Fest that was taking place at the Bay Shore Marina. I figured I could find something there to sketch. I was quite disappointed that there were very few vendors and just a handful of food trucks. I figured I would walk around once and then probably leave...but then I heard music. I walked over and a group called 70s Rock Parade was playing...and they were good! In front of the stage they had chairs set up, so I sat myself down and took out my sketchbook. 

I started with the middle singer who reminded me of Rod Stewart a bit. While they were singing they mentioned that they were going to be there for the entire day. That meant I would be able to sketch the whole group. People were up dancing and having a good time. I sat there sketching and listening to the music for about 3 hours. I probably would have stayed longer but I really needed to use the restroom and I knew once I got up my seat would be taken immediately. I did get up when the band took one of its breaks, and stopped to show the group the sketch. They loved it and were amazed that I could sketch them while they performed. They wanted me to pose for pictures with them showing the sketch. I also let them take photos of it. It is always fun when people appreciate my artwork.

I decided I couldn't leave without having some seafood, so I went over to the raw clams booth...yummy. On the way out I decided to sketch one of the food trucks. It was a cute truck, but didn't have a sign with the name of the truck or any big sign telling what they were selling. It looked like hot dogs and burgers, but they definitely lacked any advertising. lol



2 comments:

  1. Terrific sketches and stories. I like both. Live music is so much better than recordings I think. The nameless food truck is interesting. Not sure I could eat raw clams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad there was live music. I really enjoyed it!!

      Delete