Wednesday, September 25, 2024

A Day in Oyster Bay

The NYC Urban Sketchers recently met in Oyster Bay to spend the day sketching. It is a fairly easy commute for me since I can drive there in about 45 minutes. Many of the sketchers came from the city out to Long Island and were met at the Long Island Railroad train station which is about a block from the gazebo in the center of town. The location has homes, churches, businesses and if you walk about 2 blocks it has a beach and a harbor area. I've been there before and this time I concentrated on a business called 20th Century Cycles, which happens to be Billy Joel's motorcycle shop. It does a good business and there is usually a bike or two parked in front by customers.


After a short lunch with the other sketchers I concentrated on a shop called Chalikian. While I was sketching a tour group came by and the guide said that this was one of the oldest continuous businesses in Oyster Bay selling jewelry and small antiques. 


It was a fun day for all of us, and I capped it off with a home-made chocolate Italian ice from 
the Bonanza Hot Dog Stand. Yum!




1 comment:

  1. These are wonderful. You have the best journals. And a day with friends.

    ReplyDelete