Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Inktober Day 24

 On Sunday the NYC Urban Sketchers met at Inwood Park which is at the very upper edge of Manhattan, across the river from the Bronx and an area known as Spuyten Duyval. It is an area that I'm not familiar with at all, but the views from the park were great. Muscota Marsh meets the Spuyten Duyval Creek in this area which is near Columbia University. The big C on the cliffside stands for Columbia. The view looks toward the Henry Hudson Bridge.

When I first got to the park I stood by the street level entrance and decided to do my Inktober Day 24 sketch of the Columbia University Boathouse. This is a quick line sketch done with my Lamy pen with no shading.


Next I joined the other sketchers down below on the walkway along the creek/river. It had that great view that I mentioned above. Instead of doing a sketch I did an actual painting on some sample Hahnemuhle watercolor paper that was about 6 x 8.


In the afternoon I did a sketch of a similar view including some of my sketching friends hard at work. For this one I used my Lamy pen and watercolors. I started this one with the figure of my friend, Dana. I was amazed that she stood holding her sketchbook in the air for so long while she worked. I did the figures before working on the background. Even with fellow sketchers there is a good chance they will move out of the scene before you finish. lol It turned out to be a great location for sketching and one that we will probably return to in the future.





5 comments:

  1. Your painting is gorgeous. The sketch with the artists captures the moment so well. You have the plein air sketching touch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy sketching outdoors so much and having a group to do it with just means I have models to put into the sketches. lol Thanks!

      Delete
  2. These are super Joan - great job on the bridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. We were joking about putting vehicles on the bridge, but when I looked up the name of the bridge I found out that it doesn't allow vehicles.

      Delete
  3. We have a bridge that was restricted to pedestrians and now it is closed. They are debating on taking it down. Just as costly as repair so it sits.

    ReplyDelete