Sunday, September 6, 2020

Bannerman's Castle - sketch 1

This Saturday the NYC Urban Sketchers had an event led by one of our members, Maricel  Evasco, who created a wonderful blog about our destination of Bannerman's Castle to provide us with links and information. The ruins of the castle, a medieval-like fortress is located on Pollepel Island in the Hudson River 50 miles from NYC. It was built at the turn of the century by a rich industrialist. It is in a beautiful setting surrounded by flowers and other natural scenery that gives it a very romantic feel.

It took me a long while to narrow down the reference photos I found to select a photo to use. I love crumbling, old buildings so this was a treat for me. Here is the first sketch I did using watercolors, ink, a water-soluble graphite pencil, and a white colored pencil in my Strathmore Toned Tan Sketchbook.


7 comments:

  1. Interesting story and lovely painting to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to visit this location in person. Thanks, Jo!

      Delete
  2. A wonderful sketch of an interesting subject - I figured it was going to be from Europe when I saw it - who knew it would be from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it looking European is what attracted me to this...all those crumbling areas. We don't have too many "castle ruins" in the USA that I know of. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Joan this would be a subject I would love to sketch. Yours is wonderful. Hope you had a great weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thanks so much. It is definitely a subject I can have fun with. Hope your week is great!

      Delete
  4. My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete