Sunday, April 5, 2020

Dream Vacation Sketches

The NYC Urban Sketchers met today and sketched our "dream vacation" spot. For a location this morning I decided to "travel" some place I haven't been yet, but that has always fascinated me. 
I am now quite jet lagged after traveling all the way to Bali, Indonesia, a place I've dreamed about visiting, but the distance always stopped me before. 
Thanks to Google images I visited Ulum Danu Temple.


While doing my virtual vacation in Bali, Indonesia I also sketched one of the old stone statues. I used a Google royalty free image to sketch this.


In the afternoon, Mark added an additional challenge to the event. We selected another "dream vacation" spot, but this time we had the addition of a time machine to take us to that location at some time in the past or some time in the future. I immediately knew I wanted to go back in time to Monet's Garden and paint with Claude. So my story is that I ran into Claude Monet in Giverny, and he invited me back to his home to sketch with him. 
I used a photo of Monet which I changed a bit and one of my sketches that I had done at Monet's Garden in the past as a reference for the garden.




6 comments:

  1. Such interesting ways to sketch. Nicely done Joan, the Bali one particularly caught my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks for looking and commenting. It was an interesting view.

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, love your stories. These are wonderful and happy you did your dream trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, thank you. Can you imagine a trip like that?

      Delete
  3. An absolutely delightful way to sketch! May I go with you next time you visit Claude?:)

    ReplyDelete