Sunday, June 23, 2019

Close Up On Patchogue

Today was a big art festival in Patchogue called Arts on Terry. At the suggestion of our organizer, Mark Propper, the Patchogue Sketch Club decided we were going to do a special project for the event which we worked on for several weeks. Pat Sweeney took a photo of downtown Patchogue that Luanne Thompson blew up in her frame shop. The photo was enlarged to about 7feet x 5 feet and then divided into 12 inch square sections. The plan was that any interested artists in the group would select one or more sections of the large photo and paint that image on a 12 inch square canvas in their own style and their own medium. The project was inspired by the works of Chuck Close. Then the entire thing would be reassembled and displayed at Arts on Terry. I selected 3 panels and debated how to paint them. Watercolors didn't seem like a good idea since we would be displaying it outside and I would need a way to protect the watercolor once it was finished. So I did the pieces in acyrlics.

To be fair in selecting the parts to work on, we drew numbers and picked the panels that way. Here we were at the library selecting sections of the photo.



The first piece of the photo I worked on was part of the buildings on Main Street. Here is the photo I worked from and the sketch I did of it.

 

Here is my final painting of it.



I also did a piece that was part of two cars, shadows in the street, and a brick walkway.


Lastly I did a piece that was mostly sky and branches, but I forgot to take a photo of that piece.

Here is the project put together as it was displayed at Arts on Terry as well as a photo of me with the project.


We really had a great time doing the project and people at the art event loved it. There was some talk that the mural is going to be put on display at the library in town. I hope it is displayed somewhere so that more people can see it.


8 comments:

  1. That is one cool community mural project with great results! Terrific Joan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. It was great to see what working together could do.

      Delete
  2. That is very cool Joan and your pieces fit in nicely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It gave me chills when I saw the finished mural.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful project Joan...this certainly is gorgeous. Love both of your pieces as well. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Debbie. We had fun doing this and seeing the pieces as they were done.

      Delete