Monday, May 20, 2019

The Mary A. Whalen

Down along the docks in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn is a wonderful, historic boat. The Mary A. Whalen is a coastal oil tanker that is the last of her kind. This year she is celebrating her 81st birthday. The NYC Urban Sketchers visited her on Sunday. She has been repurposed for public culture and education and is owned and operated by PortSide New York. For the morning we were given private access to sketch where we wanted inside or out. Later the ship was open to all visitors.
#portsidenewyork

 I started out on the portside deck where our host Caroline, had a table set up for visitors to sketch or paint, complete with clipboards, paper, paints, and colored pencils. I used my own supplies.


Next I went into the galley to sketch. The staff loved that we enjoyed sketching their messy area, but we told them that sketchers love that. I don't think the galley has been modernized much in her 81 years. The stove is amazing and runs on diesel fuel (which does have an odor that I wasn't crazy about) and it has no traditional burners. The staff still uses it and does cook on it and bakes things in the oven. This sketch was done directly in ink...no pencil...and then the color was added.


I had lunch with some of the other sketchers on the portside deck and then went looking for a view that showed more of the ship. I went down along the dock and found a front view of the ship.


My view was looking through a fence, but it was a good view.


Around 3:00 we had our "show & tell" back on the deck. By that time they had put up a canopy for shade from the sun. One of our members, Louis, always takes photos of everyone with one of their sketches so here I am.


Because it was Mary Whalen's birthday, our host, Caroline brought out two big cakes to celebrate with us and the other public that was visiting.



8 comments:

  1. Those are wonderful sketches of her, Mary A. Whalen! Had a change of plans so I never made it there. Last year, I spent a great deal of time sketching the galley and I also sketched her like the one you're holding in the picture. That was one gorgeous day last Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. It was a good location for sketching. I'd like to go up the dock and do the tugboats too.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful sketches! And how fun that you all got to go aboard for this special art event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, thanks. It was a great location for sketching...even the NYC skyline if you weren't into doing the boat.

      Delete
  3. What a great sketching day and great sketches. Always fun to see you, too. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, thanks so much. It was fun to sketch such a different ship.

      Delete
  4. How very cool! A great way to spend the day with so many interesting things to sketch and paint. Nice work Joan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. I wish it was a little closer to me. I'd love to go back.

      Delete